Skip to main content

SPVGG GLÖTTWENG-LANDENSBERG HOME

The problem with collecting and writing about football shirts from ultra-obscure non-league European teams is that sometimes you’re faced with a team called SpVgg Glöttweng-Landensberg and you have to type out “SpVgg Glöttweng-Landensberg” multiple times, only to realise too late – far too late – that you could have just copy-pasted the name SpVgg Glöttweng-Landensberg each time. In other news, my carpal tunnel syndrome is coming along nicely.


Playing way, way down in the regional Kreisliga system at the furthest reaches of the German football pyramid, SpVgg Glöttweng-Landensberg at some point ran out in this shirt. And what a shirt it is! I know it’s just a Puma teamwear shirt that was probably worn by hundreds of other non-league teams but it’s got a real sense of va-va-voom to it, as Thierry Henry might say if you paid him enough. It’s got both stars and stripes but doesn’t come across as being related to the USA at all, although I’ll grant that if the black parts were blue it could be a shirt for the Chile national team as designed by someone in the middle of a three-day bender. I’ve seen this shirt template with the red replaced by other colours including purple and a shade of yellow that makes it resemble abstract art of a fried egg, but the red is my favourite. It strikes me of the kind of shirt would inspire confidence in the wearer. Over-confidence, maybe. Surely the amount of misjudged overhead kicks and stuttering Cruyff turns must have increased dramatically while SpVgg Glöttweng-Landensberg were using this as their home strip. It's the kit of the "good guy" team from a kid's show about an intergalactic football tournment, except fully realised in glorious polyester.
I also assumed it was from the nineties at first because, well, look at it - but on closer inspection the tag says "Made in West Germany" and West Germany became regular Germany in 1990 so it must be from the eighties.



Even the back is flamboyant, with a diagonally-aligned player number that you’d never get away with in a humdrum “proper” league, and it suddenly occurs to me that SpVgg Glöttweng-Landensberg might have chosen this kit template purely because it’s easier to fit the club’s name on the back if they print it diagonally.
As for the club itself, I could find barely any information about them. Glöttweng and Landensberg are a pair of villages about sixty-five miles north-west of Munich separated by the river Glött. I hope you enjoyed this geography lesson. As I mentioned in the Avellino Zurigo post I’d have liked to take a digital tour of the area, but thanks to Google’s issues with German privacy laws there’s no streetview available. What I can say about SpVgg Glöttweng-Landensberg is that their home colours are red and white and they’re still around, having played some games earlier this year. And… that’s about it. They don’t even seem to have a club website. It’s a shame I can’t learn more about the club, but oh well, at least I’ve got this shirt – and once I find a suitable frame, a replacement for my bedroom mirror.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US AVELLINO 1912 HOME 1995-96

  This was probably just me, but when I was a kid I did wonder whether the reason you saw so few football teams wearing green was the worry that they’d blend in with the pitch and thus become difficult to see. I don’t know how I thought this’d translate down at pitch level; maybe the players would just see floating shorts and hovering limbs. Look, gimme a break, I was a pre-teen. If wearing green does make it more difficult to pick out your teammates, here’s a shirt from a club that decided to take that risk. It’s Italian club US Avellino 1912’s 1995-96 home shirt! It’s a shirt that most definitely comes from the nineties. The abstract pattern and spray-brushed look of the sleeves and the Diadora logo woven into the polyester body of the shirt itself anchor the shirt very much in that time period – although the lace-up “granddad” collar and the embroidered badge do give this kit just the whiff of a bygone age, when the footballs were made from unrelenting leather and every

ALGERIA HOME 2010-11

Last time I looked at a shirt from non-league English team Dronfield Town , so today I thought I’d get as far away as possible from that with a shirt from an African national team. Not physically as far away as possible, then (I suppose that’d mean a kit from New Zealand) but far away in terms of culture, climate and skill level. A treat for animal lovers, this one – it’s Algeria’s 2010-11 home shirt. Of all the colours for a football shirt to be, I’d say white is probably my least favourite. I’m not entirely sure why this is. Perhaps it’s because white is the definition of “plain” and I prefer the uglier, gaudier end of the football kit spectrum. Or maybe it’s because of the clubs I associate with white shirts: the arrogance of Real Madrid, the years of disappointment watching England teams wearing white, the fact that, as the saying goes, everyone hate Leeds. There are still plenty of predominantly white shirts that I do like, though, and this is one of them. The colou

ROTHERHAM UNITED AWAY 1993-94

For Football Laundry’s inaugural post, it seemed appropriate to look at a shirt from the team I actually support. That would be Rotherham United, my home-town club, a club almost entirely without glamour whose most famous celebrity fans are the Chuckle Brothers . Still, I feel like Rotherham United punch above their weight a lot of the time, with the upcoming season being another one spent in the Championship - Premier League, here we come. Anyway, let’s check out Rotherham’s 1993-94 away shirt, shall we? Made by Matchwinner, this is perfect example of mid-nineties away kit design. While the home shirts were (mostly) kept fairly straightforward in deference to the traditions of the clubs and to avoid upsetting the fans, away shirts were fair game for experimentation. Yellow has been a pretty common colour for Rotherham’s away shirts over the years, and here it’s complemented - perhaps not the right word – by a swirling spray of black that could be intended to evoke tiger st