Skip to main content

US AVELLINO ZURIGO 2006-10


A couple of posts ago I talked about a shirt from US Avellino, a team I almost accidentally ended up  semi-following after playing as them in a football management sim. I considered myself very lucky to pick up even one decently-priced Avellino shirt, but my most recent pick-up was another Avellino shirt – well, sort of. It’s US Avellino Zurigo’s 2006-10 kit!


There’s a lot of guesswork on my part when it comes to this shirt. Pictures on the club website show players wearing it in pictures marked from 2006 to 2010, but I’m not entirely sure whether it’s a home or away shirt, or perhaps even both. US Avellino do traditionally have green home shirts and a white change strip – but this isn’t the Italian US Avellino 1912. It’s US Avellino Zurigo, founded in 2003 in Switzerland. Zurich, specifically, which is why they’re Avellino Zurigo.
Presumably founded by Italian ex-pats or the descendants thereof who supported the original Avellino, Avellino Zurigo are a non-league team currently playing in the Swiss 4. Liga, which confusingly is the eighth tier of Swiss football. They’ve got junior teams too, and a futsal squad, and I’m honestly amazed that I own one of their shirts. You can keep your Real Madrid Champions League kits and match-worn Manchester United shirts, I’d much rather have a shirt from a non-league Swiss team with a tangential relationship to an obscure Italian team I sort-of follow.


It’s a nice little shirt from Macron, too. White’s rarely my preferred colour for a football shirt, but this includes just enough green keep it lively – although I’d definitely prefer it if the sleeve cuffs were green too. That’s just nitpicking, though. It’s quite similar to the Algeria shirt I covered previously, and it would have been lovely if Avellino’s wolf badge was writ large on the shoulder like the Algeria shirt’s fennec fox, but alas. I suppose you have to be wary about slapping pictures of wolves on your football shirt, lest you end up looking like a team that plays out of a tacky seaside souvenir shop.


Big props to Dr. Giuseppe Miele for stumping up the cash to sponsor Avellino Zurigo’s shirts. It’s not often you see the sponsor's address right there on the shirt, so naturally I checked it out with the ol’ online maps. It seems that Dr. Miele is an optician based in a nice area along the shores of Lake Zurich, and he must be doing okay for himself if he’s sponsoring football teams. In checking this out, I naturally spent quite a while travelling through the streets of Zurich using StreetView. I’m sure it’s not just me that does this, right? It’s a damn sight cheaper than a holiday, especially if you can’t help spending money on ultra-obscure Swiss football shirts. It’s a curse, it really is.
Before I go, and on the subject of emigration: if you’re wondering where you might have heard of Avellino before, it’s where Tony Soprano’s family emigrated from in The Sopranos. Are there any football teams in New Jersey that I might be able to pick up a kit from, get a theme going? Do let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US AVELLINO 1912 HOME 1995-96

  This was probably just me, but when I was a kid I did wonder whether the reason you saw so few football teams wearing green was the worry that they’d blend in with the pitch and thus become difficult to see. I don’t know how I thought this’d translate down at pitch level; maybe the players would just see floating shorts and hovering limbs. Look, gimme a break, I was a pre-teen. If wearing green does make it more difficult to pick out your teammates, here’s a shirt from a club that decided to take that risk. It’s Italian club US Avellino 1912’s 1995-96 home shirt! It’s a shirt that most definitely comes from the nineties. The abstract pattern and spray-brushed look of the sleeves and the Diadora logo woven into the polyester body of the shirt itself anchor the shirt very much in that time period – although the lace-up “granddad” collar and the embroidered badge do give this kit just the whiff of a bygone age, when the footballs were made from unrelenting leather and every

ALGERIA HOME 2010-11

Last time I looked at a shirt from non-league English team Dronfield Town , so today I thought I’d get as far away as possible from that with a shirt from an African national team. Not physically as far away as possible, then (I suppose that’d mean a kit from New Zealand) but far away in terms of culture, climate and skill level. A treat for animal lovers, this one – it’s Algeria’s 2010-11 home shirt. Of all the colours for a football shirt to be, I’d say white is probably my least favourite. I’m not entirely sure why this is. Perhaps it’s because white is the definition of “plain” and I prefer the uglier, gaudier end of the football kit spectrum. Or maybe it’s because of the clubs I associate with white shirts: the arrogance of Real Madrid, the years of disappointment watching England teams wearing white, the fact that, as the saying goes, everyone hate Leeds. There are still plenty of predominantly white shirts that I do like, though, and this is one of them. The colou

ROTHERHAM UNITED AWAY 1993-94

For Football Laundry’s inaugural post, it seemed appropriate to look at a shirt from the team I actually support. That would be Rotherham United, my home-town club, a club almost entirely without glamour whose most famous celebrity fans are the Chuckle Brothers . Still, I feel like Rotherham United punch above their weight a lot of the time, with the upcoming season being another one spent in the Championship - Premier League, here we come. Anyway, let’s check out Rotherham’s 1993-94 away shirt, shall we? Made by Matchwinner, this is perfect example of mid-nineties away kit design. While the home shirts were (mostly) kept fairly straightforward in deference to the traditions of the clubs and to avoid upsetting the fans, away shirts were fair game for experimentation. Yellow has been a pretty common colour for Rotherham’s away shirts over the years, and here it’s complemented - perhaps not the right word – by a swirling spray of black that could be intended to evoke tiger st